Saturday, April 24, 2010

Steve McCurry Photo Response



Steve McCurry travels around the world and takes photographs of the destruction, the impact and affect as well as the other circumstances surrounding all global troubles. This photo in particular is one of destruction and impact, one of the many photos Steve McCurry has taken. “Many of us are in a position to help others, but few of us are aware of what we can do–or what a difference our contribution can make. I hope my photographs help people become more informed and find a way to contribute.” – This is one of the quotes that I think defines what Steve McCurry’s purpose of taking photos is.
I found this photo under ‘Fire’ in Steve McCurry’s website. This photo really catches me, and pulls me by my heart because I feel as if I’m guilty to be of no help, and that I am the person trapped in the realm of heat and panic, searching for freedom and oxygen, when nobody will come to help me. I chose this photo because I feel connected to it, like I have a reason to be here acknowledging it.
I realize specific features in this photo like its background and what emphasizes it, dominates the photo and pulls me in on the whole story behind the truth and meaning. On the other hand, I find this picture very general, relating to many different events occurring around the world. In the background I see fire which through my eyes and with other evidence from this photo- like the trembling hands- that fire causes death, panic, destruction. You already imagine what is behind the hands- the screams, the cries, the screeches, then the ones that are silent, too full of panic with no confidence at all, that they just stop in their places and let time and slow death pass by. As you can see in the foreground, it’s neutral but very important to the photo, it is dark but what makes the photo more than what it is. The hands next to the fire- a message I never knew could be displayed so clearly. Like enemies, so close. But this is only through my imagination, which brings me to general views. This photo is a fantastic photo that will make you stop and think... and think, and think. The photo makes you think so much because it is a mystery, one you cannot solve, annot come to conclusion like math problems that have no answer yet an equation that cannot be simplified no more than what proof there is of it, what logic there is to work with.
This photo makes me realize where I am right now, and what people can, won’t do and will. This photo makes me wonder. I wonder how many times this must happen, how I could be one of those people, but am not. I wonder how their thoughts are processing through this person’s mind. Does he/she have any hope of survival through this message displayed in the picture, or does he/she react to panic by throwing themselves at all chances, with no hope at all? Which one is the best solution? Would you choose? Would you have a choice, at all? I’m not sure. That makes me now realize, the theme of this and all other photographs of Steve McCurry’s is endless mystery, wonder and connection.
They say a photo provides a million words. In this case, I am certain that is true. In this case I’m not sure. It would depend on what your thoughts would have to be. Some may be of small, specific conclusions- like death, not survival. While others may be of hope, and the rise of hell. In this case, there is no answer.
This picture is not only a picture. It is a message. A message revealing how awful the world is becoming of itself and how us humans are what our world is depending on to survive. What have we become to make us of ourselves? What may we challenge to fight for what’s left of a chance? How can we live like this? With happiness on our end, but hurt on another’s? Why can’t we stop? This is what a photo can make you do- ask questions. You don’t have to answer them, but why don’t you stop and think, that’s what a photo demands from you. It demands a little time away from your life, to stop and look around at what’s around you.
Steve McCurry presents his theme through the photos that he takes risks for- “One of the scariest experiences I’ve had in my career was crashing into a frigid glacial lake in the former Yugoslavia while on assignment for National Geographic.” In this photo, he must have been in some dangerous situation to be close to a fire. He usually comments on his other photos as some sort of travelling experience that was wonderful and also on what happened in the photo and what he learned through experiencing an amazing moment. Sometimes he uses quotes from other people like Shakespeare and Johann Wolfgang, while other times he gives us background information like the pictures he has under Islam, where he describes connections with people, percentages of their population in the world.

No comments: